Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Feast with the Farmers was Fantastic



Hello Fellow Foodies,

Shame on me and my way overdue communication.

Tonight I went to an event - "Feast with the Farmers". This is an annual event that needs to go on your calendar for next year.

What fun, not just with the food but the people as well. Let's face it, food doesn't grow itself, and the people in this community amaze me weekly.

My tastebuds had a serious treat this evening. Diane and her husband Jerry, of Sands Trail Farms out did themselves. I cannot tell you how hard they worked, but if you check in on the blog in three or four days, you will see all that I was able to enjoy tonight.

Where to begin? Ceviche (in the champagne glass)-out of this world! What a full flavored, light, summertime treat. Perfect for the occassion! The right amount of citrus, cilantro, cucumber, peppers, and the shrimp was a bonus, that is how good I felt about that buffet item.


So my girl Diane not only farms, pickles, makes a rockin' honey maple marinade, she makes cheese! She learned from her father, and I was delighted with a cross between blue and white cheddar served with farm fresh blueberries!

I could have stopped there-are you kidding me? Al, who sells 12 hour fresh frozen wild Alaskan salmon contributed and it was served with cream cheese & chives. I doubt there was any left.

Diane made an eggplant caviar served in mini endive leaves, just try and stop me. There were also baby endive leaves filled with blue cheese, dried cranberries, sweet walnuts, and blueberries.

This event has been taking place for six years and if you are anywhere close to Hayden, Coeur d'Alene, Post falls, or Sandpoint, make plans to attend next year.

The craft vendors, which are an intrical part of our market, served the actual farmers and their guests. I will sum this up with three D's:

  1. Dedication
  2. Devotion
  3. and Delicious!

Thank you to Gail, Anthony Hall (the chef), the farmers, and all the people behind the entire summer long venture. You make us proud and give us something to look forward to EVERY YEAR. God Bless.

Until next time,

Eat well and be happy!

The Healthy Foodie Fanatic

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I was checking the Farmer's market site and I found your blog. You have an Italian surname so I wouldn't be surprised if you were of Italian origins...
    i live in Post Falls and I came here in July 2007 with my family. We moved from italy as I am 100% Italian. I am thinking about having a booth at the market next year selling panini and cookies, cakes and so on.
    I have a blog too but it is written in Italian.
    Going to read your interesting blog. Ciao for now.
    Giuli

    ReplyDelete