Thursday, June 25, 2009

How Sweet it is Cooking With Sweet Peppers

Hello Fellow Foodies,

I have mentioned that on more than one occasion, I fall asleep at night thinking of a recipe or perhaps a cooking technique. The following recipe is a perfect example. I had a bag of mini sweet peppers hanging around in my refrigerator and wanted to do something unique, yet with a comfort food appeal. Then it came to me, what if roasted them and threw my conventional approach to making chili out the window? I was pleased with the results, which were a little on the sweet side. I brought a bowl over to share with a neighbor to get her opinion, and for while there things were not pretty. Spoons were flying to get the next bite. So here's how it went down......

I took one dozen mini sweet peppers and coated them lightly with olive oil, then roasted them at 400 until tender and slightly charred. When they had cooled, I put them in a blender with 3 uncooked mini sweet peppers, 3 cups of beef stock, and 1 cup of chicken stock. I gave it a good whiz until it was pureed. Once pureed, I put if through a fine strainer and wound up with 2 1/2 cups of delicious roasted sweet peppers. Now for the recipe:

21/2 cups pureed mini sweet peppers

3 cups beef stock

3 15oz cans black beans, slightly drained

1 6oz can tomato paste

2 Tbsp ground chile pepper

2 tsp ground oregano

2 tsp ground garlic powder

2 Tbsp ground onion powder

a pinch of chipotle pepper

S & P to taste

2 lbs ground beef

In a large pot I combined the first ten ingredients. Allowed it to come to a simmer and then added the ground beef. I let the meat cook at a slow simmer for just about an hour. I tested for salt content and enjoyed a bowl.

There is nothing to say that you couldn't add heat in multiple forms if that is your preference.
  • jalapenos

  • roasted green chiles

  • Cayenne pepper

  • hot sauce

These are just to name a few. If you do choose to use this pepper puree method, expect to denote some sweetness in this recipe.

Until next time,
Eat healthy and be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment