Saturday, June 13, 2009

They're HERE! The Peonies are FINALLY HERE!

Hello Fellow Foodies,

I had a great morning at the Kootenai County Farmers' Market today. I visited with some vendors I know from past interviews and made some new friends. All in all, as usual, I had a wonderful time. I really can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday morning. I come home with all kinds of food treasures and cook in the afternoon! Oh, by the way, the Market has a new Weekly Update Newsletter available you should sign up for. Catch the link here.

Today I received a gift from Pat at Howling Hills Organic Farm (named for the Howling Malmutes). She was gracious enough to give me a bag of edible flowers to use in one of my unique recipes. Thank you Pat. Wish you were here to enjoy.

Normally you would be reading about some delicious food or cooking method but the peonies have finally arrived! They have got to be one of the most sppectacular flowers known to man.

I talked to Mike with MRM FLOWERS. He and his wife Renee have been growing peonies for about 5 years, and WOW do they grow some beautiful flowers. We had to wait a little longer this year due to the extended cold temperatures but they are in full force now. Their display of color was dazzling, and Mike said they have five colors that still have not bloomed yet. Not only that, but he told me he has at least 30,000 buds yet to open, that's right 30,000! I purchased one bundle of 10 stems for $9.00, the going rate in California is $35.00! Now aren't you glad you live in Northern Idaho? Once they have harvested all their flowers, Mike and Renee Mejie disappear until the latter part of the market season when they return to sell bare roots. If you are a flower lover, get to the market and see for yourself. I would be willing to bet it would be hard for you to walk away without a bundle. Thank you Mike and Renee for your dedication and passion!

Until next time,

Eat healthy and be happy!

The Healthy Foodie Fanatic

No comments:

Post a Comment