Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Camper's Best Friend

Hello Fellow Foodies,

I was fortunate enough to have family come to visit this weekend and chili was a requested menu item. I always start my chili with dried beans. While beginning this process, it got me thinking of the dried pinto bean. It is the first bean I start with regardless of what other beans or ingredients I may choose to add.

My thoughts moved on to camping and backpacking. You have to give careful thought to the content, weight, and nutritional value to what food you bring along. I can tell you that at the very top of my list is the underappreciated pinto bean. A "snack bag" size portion of dried pintos will provide loads of protein, fiber, great taste and texture, and a tremendous amount of full factor for just pennies. Equipment needed is minimal and with a selective choice of dried seasoning packets, you get BIG flavor and satistfaction.

Without boring you to nutritional tears, here are a few key facts:

  • high fiber
  • protein
  • iron
  • magnesium
  • B1
  • Folate
  • potassium

This Bean Rocks!
Key points to keep in mind.......

Proper liquid and seasoning are essential for success, (this is a process).

Dried pinto beans take TIME to reach their prime texture and flavor, (it is worth it).

Perfection and satisfaction of this food is in the eye of the beholder and their tastebuds, (what food doesn't taste better by a campfire).

So the next time your planning an outdoor menu, keep one of this foodie's favorites in mind!

Until next time,

Eat healthy and be happy.

The Healthy Food Fanatic

No comments:

Post a Comment